This Privacy Notice explains how Warwick District Council's Licensing Team will collect, use and share your personal information.
What information we collect about you
We collect the following information when you complete our forms as part of a taxi licence application or from third parties.
- Name, contact details, national insurance number
- Vehicle details including past history of purchase
- Medical details
- Criminal record details
- Immigration status and duration in and out of the UK
- Right to work details
- Photograph and date of birth
- Past address and taxi trade history
- Information about your health from your GP
- Driving licence details
- Private hire business details including staff details
- Driver, vehicle and operator insurance details
- Driver training details including dates attended and results
- Complaints history including committee and court reports
Our lawful basis for processing your personal data is the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in us. Some of the information collected by us is regarded as special category data otherwise known as sensitive personal data and criminal offence data. In order to process this information, we rely upon Article 9 (2) (g) in that processing is necessary for reasons of substantial public interest.
Why we need information about you
We process personal data because it is necessary to comply with our legal obligations. The laws include:
- Local Government (Miscellaneous) Provisions Act 1976
- Town Police Clauses Act 1847 & 1889
- Air Quality (Taxis and Private Hire Vehicles Database) (England and Wales) Regulations 2019
- Equality Act 2010
- Criminal Justice & Public Order Act 1994
- Immigration Act 2016
- Deregulation Act 2015
The Council has established and manages the Drivers and Operators Forum. As such, it holds information relating to the Forum such as details of the members, the minutes and any other information relevant to the Forum. Information relating to the Forum members and minutes are available on our website.
We collect the information so that we can
- Process your request for a hackney carriage/private hire driver’s licence, private hire operator licence or a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle licence
- Make sure you are ‘fit and proper’ to hold a licence
- Make sure the public is safe
- Protect public funds
- Maintain a public register
Who we share data with
Your personal information can be shared with
- With other departments in the Council.
- Other local authorities.
- Enforcement organisations including but not limited to the police, insurance companies, legal/medical practitioners who work in connection with legal/medical proceedings or enquiries if there are reasonable grounds to suspect that you are acting in a criminal or fraudulent way or bring into question the safety and/or protection of the public.
- The Cabinet Office (who are a government department) - for the purposes of a data matching exercise called the National Fraud Initiative. The purpose of the exercise is to detect fraud and error. The Council is legally required to participate in this exercise.
- DEFRA for the Air Quality: Taxis and Private Hire Vehicles (PHVs) database as required by the Air Quality (Taxi and Private Hire Vehicles Database) (England and Wales) Regulations 2019.
- Members of the public via the ‘public register’.
- Members of the public via the ‘designated vehicles list’ as required by sections 165-167 of the Equality Act 2010.
- Members of the public via the Driver and Operators Forum web pages.
How long we keep your information for
We only keep information for as long as we need it for the purposes for which it was processed. Your information will be kept in accordance with our retention policy.
You have the right to:
- Ask for a copy of information held about you
- Correct any wrong information about you
- Have information that is not needed erased
- Restrict, in some cases, how we use your information
- Complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office
Full details of your rights and the Council’s main privacy notice.
To exercise any of these rights please contact:
Warwick District Council
Royal Leamington Spa
Phone. 01926 456 705