You can re-register on HomeChoice if you wish to move house, or you can find someone to swap homes with.

Mutual exchange

A mutual exchange is where social housing tenants (council, housing association or other registered providers) can swap properties with other social housing tenants.

Each tenant moves into their exchange partner’s property and takes on responsibility for that tenancy. We promote the use of mutual exchanges as a way of enabling our tenants to move, and we will help facilitate mutual exchanges where possible.

Tenants may exchange to a larger or smaller property and/or they may move to a different location. Most tenants with a secure or assured tenancy are eligible to carry out a mutual exchange. However, you will not be eligible if any of the following apply:

  • you have an assured shorthold tenancy
  • you have rent arrears
  • you have a history of antisocial behaviour or other breach of tenancy.

How to find and exchange partner

The most popular way of finding an exchange partner is online. We have signed up to HomeSwapper and membership is free for our tenants. Once you have registered, you will have to provide:

  • a description of your property and its location
  • photos of your property
  • a description of the type of property you are looking for

You will then have the opportunity to search for the type of property and location you are looking for.

Once you've found an exchange partner

If you have found another tenant with whom you wish to exchange, you must let us know so that we can confirm that you and your proposed exchange partner are eligible for the exchange. It is important that you visit and inspect the property you want to move to. You should look for any improvements the tenant has made, as they will become your responsibility.

Apply for the exchange

You will need to complete an application form: completing an application for consent to mutual exchange (27kb, PDF). We will let you know our decision within 42 days of receiving your application form. We will not refuse permission without good reason.

Implications of a mutual exchange

It is essential that you understand the possible implications of carrying out a mutual exchange. You should not make any arrangements to move until you have received written approval from all landlords. You must not exchange your home without our permission. If you do, you may have to move back, and we could take legal action to end your tenancy.

Contact us 

For further information or help regarding a mutual exchange, contact us about your council house.

Or you can phone 01926 456129.