Tell us what you think about our site... Advice for the bereaved - Warwick District Council
Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Stay at home to stop Coronavirus spreading. Get service updates, information and advice for the public, communities and businesses.

Coronavirus information and advice

If your partner has died and you are now the only adult occupying your home, then you may be entitled to a reduction in council tax. People who live alone are eligible to receive a 25% reduction in their bill.

Please complete a council tax single person discount application

If the person who has died lived alone then you need to contact us and provide the following details

  • Date of death
  • Name and address of the executors or solicitors acting on behalf of the deceased's estate
  • Whether the property was owned by the deceased and now forms part of the estate or if rented, the tenancy end date and the name and address of the owner.

If the property is forming part of the deceased's estate and remains unoccupied then an exemption will be given until probate has been granted and then after for a maximum period of 6 months provided the property remains unoccupied and ownership has not transferred from the deceased.

Financial help for the bereaved

Visit for more on financial help for the bereaved.