What is a Community Governance Review (CGR)?
A Community Governance Review (CGR) is a legal process whereby Councils can create parish councils, review and change electoral arrangements and, in extreme cases, abolish parishes.
Warwick District Council (the District Council) must ensure that community governance in the area under review reflects the identities and interests of the community in that area and is effective and convenient.
It is important that recommendations made through a CGR should bring about improved community engagement, more cohesive communities, better local democracy and result in more effective and convenient delivery of local services.
In undertaking the CGR, the Council will be guided by:
- Part 4 of the Local Government and Public Involvement in Health Act 2007 (“the 2007 Act”);
- the relevant parts of the Local Government Act 1972 (“the 1972 Act”);
- the Guidance on Community Governance Reviews issued jointly by the Department for Communities and Local Government and the Electoral Commission in April 2008 (“the Guidance”);
- also the following regulations which guide, in particular, consequential matters arising from the Review:
- Local Government (Parishes and Parish Councils) (England) Regulations 2008 (SI2008/625);
- Local Government Finance (New Parishes) Regulations 2008 (SI2008/626).
Who will undertake the CGR?
Warwick District Council is responsible for undertaking a CGR within its electoral area.
The District Councils Audit & Standards Committee is responsible for overseeing this process and officers will produce draft and final recommendations for consideration by the Committee before a Community Governance Order is made.
It should also be noted that the National Association of Local Councils suggest the minimum number of councillors be seven and the maximum be twenty-five.
The District Council must have regard to the following factors when considering the number of councillors to be elected for the parish:
- the number of local government electors for the parish;
- any change in that number which is likely to occur in the period of five years beginning with the day when the Review starts.
There are currently no CGR's in progress within Warwick District.