Waste capacity and storage requirements – a guide for developers when putting together planning applications
Most properties are now using wheeled bins for waste, recycling, and garden waste. Recycling boxes are only used for properties where a wheeled bin would be unsuitable, such as flats.
If you wish to use alternative containers instead of the red boxes, please ensure they meet the following specific criteria:
- No larger than 55 litres
- Handles for safe and easy lifting and tipping
- Made from a strong, sturdy material
Garden Waste Collection Service
A chargeable subscription is now required for a garden waste collection service. A permit will be issued to stick onto the green bin. Visit the Garden waste page for details.
We charge for waste containers for new properties and developments. The fees are as follows:
|Container||Charge (2023)||Charge (2024)|
|Wheeled bin: grey (refuse), green (garden), or blue-lidded (recycling)||£38.00||£39.00|
|Recycling box with lid||£6.50||£6.50|
|Lid only (for recycling box)||£2.00||£2.00|
|Food caddy (kerbside)||£10.00||£10.00|
|Food caddy (kitchen)||£5.00||£5.00|
Request a quote
Complete our enquiry form so that we can provide you with a quote for your waste containers.
Once we have received your enquiry
- We will contact you to confirm the number of properties and the number of containers required, and to ensure that you are happy with this arrangement.
- We will raise an invoice for the full amount if you wish to order containers for the new properties as a job lot. We require a list of postal addresses together with a list of containers required per property in order to raise the invoice.
- If the new development includes properties with a communal bin store (for example, apartments) then the standard grey/green bins may not be suitable. We will need to make arrangements for one of our team to visit the development with you and discuss the most appropriate containers.
- We advise that once a resident has moved into the property that the order for that individual property is requested at that point directly by you. Please note that we will not issue individual invoices per property.
- No orders will be processed until our Finance Department have confirmed that the relevant invoice has been paid. Only then will we order a set of bins for any occupied properties.
- Our contractors will only deliver the containers to the properties once they are occupied, and we aim to deliver containers within 10-15 working days of an order being placed.