How to report a dangerous structure
If you are concerned that a structure, building or part of a building within Warwick district, Daventry district and Rugby borough may be structurally dangerous, you can contact the Building Control section. We will always aim to respond within 2 hours of notification of such a structure within office hours.
During office hours
- Warwick, Rugby and Daventry districts - 01926 456551
Out of hours emergency numbers
- Warwick district area - 0300 303 5573
- Rugby borough area - 01788 533533 and/or 0300 303 5573
- Daventry district area - 0300 303 5573
What will happen?
- Where necessary the danger may be removed immediately by the council's appointed contractor.
- If we need to take this action we will make every effort to contact the property owner first. If this is not possible, a card will be left at the premises indicating what action has had to be taken and who should be contacted for further advice.
- If a property is in a dangerous condition, but is not considered to be an immediate danger, a formal Dangerous Structure Notice may be served. This will specify works to be undertaken and give a reasonable time to respond.
- Where minor defects are found in properties we will, if possible, carry out an inspection and offer informal advice on the best way of rectifying the problem.
The powers which Building Control use to take action on dangerous structures come from sections 77 and 78 of the Building Act 1984.