Electrical installations

Since the 1st January 2005 most electrical installations in the following premises fall under the control of Part P of the Building Regulations.

  • Dwelling houses and flats
  • Dwellings and business premises that have a common supply (for example shops and public houses with a flat above)
  • Common access areas in blocks of flats
  • Shared amenities in blocks of flats
  • Installations in or on land associated with the above buildings (for example fixed lighting and pond pumps in gardens)
  • Installations in outbuildings such as sheds, detached garages and greenhouses.

Download documents

What type of work is controlled?

  • Small jobs such as provision of a socket-outlet or a light switch on an existing circuit will not need to be notified to Building Control (although there will be some exceptions for high risk areas such as kitchens and bathrooms).
  • All work that involves adding a new circuit to a dwelling, or electrical work in kitchens and bathrooms or in 'special locations' (bathroom/shower room/kitchen) will need to be either notified to Building Control with a building regulation application, or carried out by a competent person who is registered with a Part P Self-Certification Scheme.

More specific examples of what is controlled and what is exempt can be found in the advice leaflet, available to download above.

An overview of the process

There are two routes available to applicants to ensure they comply with Part P:-

1. Use an electrician who is registered with a Competent Person's scheme. A building regulations application will not be required for the electrical work. We would strongly encourage the use of electricians/installers who are part of a Competent Person Scheme. The electrician should give you a completed BS 7671 test certificate at the end of the job.

2. Submit a Building Regulation application to Warwick District Council prior to commencement of work (fees are payable):

A. Where an electrician registered with a recognised trade body such as NICEIC, ECA & NAPIT (who need not be registered under a competent persons scheme) tests the work and issues a design, installation and test certificate under BS7671. Building Control may accept the certificate as evidence that the work complies with Part P. Additional inspections by Building Control will need to be carried out. It is important that we are contacted to arrange an inspection before any cables are covered up.

B. Where the work is carried out by an unregistered electrician or is a DIY installation, the person must be able to demonstrate to us that they are competent to carry out the work. It is important that we are contacted before commencement of work and again to arrange an inspection before any cables are covered up. Inspections may be carried out in conjunction with our consultant Electrician, for which charges will be incurred. 

The changes which may result from the introduction of Part P are very wide reaching. It is not possible to answer every concern or query here on a single page. If you do want to find out more, please contact us for further information.