For council tax purpose, a person is a student if they are:

  • Attending a university, polytechnic or college course which lasts for at least 24 weeks a year and involves at least 21 hours of attended study a week during term time.
  • Under 20 years of age, studying for more than three months and at least 12 hours per week for any qualification up to an A Level, ONC or OND standard. Correspondence courses, or courses taken in connection with a job, such as day release, are not included.

Students in student accommodation

It is your responsibility to tell us if you live in a student property and also to provide your student proof and copy of your tenancy agreement. If you fail to provide your proof, you will be sent a bill with a full charge on it.

You can register as a student at your accommodation by completing the moving into new address (for students) form. You can upload your student proof and copy of your tenancy and also register to vote at your student property all on the same form.

Landlords or owners of student accommodation

If you are a landlord or owner of a student property, please ensure your tenants have told us they have moved in and have provided the relevant proofs we need. We will attempt to gather the relevant information from your tenants, however If you would rather, you can inform us directly by completing an online form as above for each tenant or completing and returning any letters we send to you. Please note as a minimum we require a full names of all tenants and dates of tenancy and whether it is let in individual rooms or as a whole property to avoid the bill remaining in your name. If you do send a tenancy agreement, we generally only need the first and last pages.

Students not in student accommodation

If you wish to claim student exemption/disregard or need further advice on a specific case or set of circumstances then please complete the council tax discounts and exemptions form. Please provide evidence of student status by providing a copy of your student certificate supplied by the establishment to which you are enrolled. This evidence can be uploaded with the online form.

In a property where one resident is a non student, regardless of the number of students who also live there, the non student will be solely liable for payment of 75% of the whole charge. If there are 2 or more non students, then they will be jointly and severally liable for the full charge. The students will be disregarded for council tax purposes.

Students who own their own properties

If you are a student and own your own property, you may be entitled to an exemption when the property is empty. You can only receive the exemption for an empty property if you previously occupied the property as your sole or main residence before it became empty and nobody else other than students were living there. If you think you qualify for this exemption please complete the council tax discounts and exemptions form.  When we receive the form we will check to see if you are eligible.