We are continuing to work closely with the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games Organising Committee as part of their venue operating planning process. Following developments to ensure we deliver successful lawn bowls and para bowls events at Royal Leamington Spa’s Victoria Park, we are now delighted to announce that we will also provide the venue for the start and finish of the Cycling Road Race. We aim to maximise the overall benefits of the Games to residents, local businesses and visitors to the District and to promote the ongoing opportunities it can create.
Leamington Spa Station improvement scheme
Improvements have taken place to improve Leamington Spa Station’s forecourt and station underpass as part of a suite of improvements to boost infrastructure in Royal Leamington Spa ahead of the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games.
Victoria Park Car Park Improvement Works
- From Monday 25 April, the Victoria Park car park will be temporarily closed for resurfacing and improvement works. The works are expected to take 1 week to complete.
Planned works include:
- New landscaping and planting
- Improvements to pedestrian access into and out of the car park to the Riverside walk and Victoria Park
- Resurfacing and remarking of the car park including new accessible parking bays
During the closure, alternative free all-day parking will be available at Adelaide Bridge Car Park, Riverside, Leamington Spa, CV32 5AH.
The Old Tennis Courts public amenity space, off-Archery Road (CV31 3PT) is also available for all-day parking for users of the park and its facilities.
Warwick District Council apologises for any inconvenience caused by the improvement works.
Victoria Park, Old Tennis Court Improvement Works
Improvement works have been carried out on the Old Tennis Courts in Victoria Park which has included:
- Resurfacing of the site
- Installation of new trip rails around the perimeter of the site
- Installation of a height restrictor barrier at the site entrance
Royal Leamington Spa Tennis Courts resurfaced
Public tennis courts in Victoria Park and Christchurch Gardens in Royal Leamington Spa have been recently resurfaced to provide an excellent playing surface for anyone wanting to get active and enjoy a game of tennis.
This project has been funded by the Coventry and Warwickshire Local Enterprise Partnership (CWLEP).
Find out more about improvements to the district’s local tennis courts.
Improvements made to Lawn Bowls Clubhouse for July's Commonwealth Games
Work has been completed on the Bowls Clubhouse at Victoria Park in Royal Leamington Spa which has received an extensive refurbishment.
This is in preparation for the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games.
The refurbished clubhouse provides a world-class facility for national and club players. The comprehensive renovation includes redecoration throughout, new lighting flooring, carpets and fully refurbished toilet facilities as well as the addition of enhanced WI-FI provision, an upgraded PA System and a new café patio.
Find out more about improvements to the lawn bowls clubhouse.
Victoria Park footpath resurfacing
We are continuing to prepare to host the Birmingham 2022 Lawn and Para Bowls by resurfacing the footpaths in Victoria Park for residents and visitors this work has now been completed.
Find out more about the footpaths resurfacing works.
Resurfacing of the Riverside Walk footpath from Princes Drive to the clublands area off Adelaide Road were completed in January 2021.
Find out more about the improvement works to Riverside Walk and York Walk.
Outdoor gym equipment installed in Victoria Park
New outdoor gym equipment has been installed in Victoria Park. The facility is being funded primarily by AC Lloyds and the Rotary Club of Royal Leamington Spa and supplied by Fresh Air Fitness.
The new facility is located on the river side of the inner footpath between the skate park and Princes Drive car park.
Find out more information about the outdoor gym equipment installed in Victoria Park.
Preparations are underway to create a comprehensive Wayfinding scheme for visitors and tourists coming to Royal Leamington Spa for next year’s games.
Work on the scheme will progress through 2021 with a target for completion by the end of the year.
Find out more information about the wayfinding scheme.
Following the exciting announcement of the Coventry & Warwickshire Local Enterprise grant award, we are keen to keep our local public informed of the proposed infrastructure improvement projects to be put in place ahead of Victoria Park’s role as an official venue for Lawn Bowls and Para Bowls competitions in summer 2022. Royal Leamington Spa’s Victoria Park proposed improvements
Warwick District Council is managing the projects with support from partners including Warwickshire County Council, Chiltern Railways, Sustrans and Network Rail.
Works have recently begun to refurbish the Lawn Bowls Pavilion and Clubhouse at Victoria Park and improvements are also being made along York Walk. Further details and updates will follow as projects progress.
What we are trying to do
- Deliver a successful Commonwealth Games event
- Improve the bowls venue, competition, participation and diversity
- Enhance the wider Victoria Park facilities, access and riverside links
- Raise awareness of the wellbeing benefits of an active lifestyle
- Maximise opportunities for local enterprise, culture, tourism and showcasing WDC’s reputation for events delivery
- Project Board established, chaired by the Project Sponsor (Chris Elliot) and Project Manager appointed until March 2023 (Christina Boxer)
- Project Operation Team and sub groups established with lead officers to focus on key elements of the project
- Meetings held with Birmingham2022 Organising Committee to access venue layout and a greens programme of improvement
- Initial planning towards a countdown of community events involving sport, leisure and cultural activities
- Launch of a WDC Sport Ambassador scheme
- Early contacts made with countries and potential host providers to offer Training Camps within the District.
- Birmingham 2022 enterprise opportunities and business portal promoted to local business via Chamber of Commerce, Chamber of Trade, Business Forums and Business Network International events.
- Establishment of community stakeholder groups, with first meeting held with the Victoria Park Commonwealth Games Stakeholder Group
- Improved facilities at Victoria Park for a range of users
- Links with external stakeholders to deliver a successful event
- An annual countdown of cultural and leisure events rotated across the District in the lead up to the Commonwealth Games in 2022
- Improved accessibility of Victoria Park and Leamington town centre
- Local businesses assisted to win Birmingham2022 contracts
- Visiting teams attracted for pre-Games Training Camps
- Increased participation in bowls and other sports
- Exciting volunteering opportunities being announced in 2020
- Enhanced green corridor along the rivers Avon and Leam
Further information and updates
- Visit the Birmingham Commonwealth Games 2022 website for further information, news and business opportunities
- Read our Commonwealth Games 2022 news feed for the latest updates from Warwick District.
Coventry and Warwickshire Local Enterprise Partnership (CWLEP)
A total of £1.8 million has been awarded to Warwick District Council from Coventry and Warwickshire Local Enterprise Partnership (CWLEP) for infrastructure improvements.