Insurance claims against the council

If you are a solicitor and wish to make a claim via the claims portal the council’s current insurer is Zurich Municipal and the policy number for liability and motor policies is QLA-02H087-0083. The portal ID is C00108.

For all other claims please use the process described below.

Claiming against Warwick District Council

You may be considering making a claim against the council due to a personal injury or damage to your property.

For your claim to be successful you will need to prove that the council has been at fault in law. Although something may have happened there is no automatic entitlement to compensation.

What is alleged to have happened may not have been the council’s fault. For example, if there is a particularly bad storm which lifts some roof tiles off resulting in water coming through the roof and ceiling and damaging your possessions, the council might successfully argue that it was not liable and not at fault (negligent) as it could not have predicted the damage or prevented it from happening.

The decision on whether the council has been negligent will be made by the council’s insurers who will decide if the council has been at fault and is therefore liable for the claim made against it. 

The Risk and Insurance Officer is able to discuss a potential claim and the process with you but will not encourage or discourage you in making a claim or be able to say whether your claim will be successful.

The information you provide will be passed to our insurers as they handle claims on our behalf. Warwick District Council is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, so we may use the information you provide for the prevention and detection of fraud. We may also share the information with other bodies responsible for the auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. 

Any person found to be making (or assisting in making) a fraudulent claim will be liable to prosecution.

Making your claim

Make your claim by completing our online form:

Make a claim for compensation

During your claim, you will be asked for the following information:

  1. Name, address, telephone number, email address
  2. Exact time and date of the accident/incident
  3. If the claim is for injury the occupation and age of the claimant
  4. Written details for how the accident/incident occurred. If the claim is for injury please give a brief description of the defect and a sketch of the precise location indicating landmarks such as house, street lamps which will enable us to find the alleged defect.
  5. Photos of the site and/or injury/damaged property
  6. Details of the injury or damaged property for which a claim is being made.

You can also provide these details in writing to Insurance and Risk Officer, P.O. Box 2180, Riverside House, Milverton Hill, Leamington Spa CV32 5QW.

Should you wish to discuss making a claim please contact the Insurance and Risk Officer on 01926 456823.

Please note that if the claim is for damage to property insurers will need to know the age of the damaged items, original purchase price (receipts if available) and estimate for replacement, because any payment will take into account wear and tear.

The process

You can nominate someone to deal with your claim on your behalf. If you make us aware of this arrangement we, and our insurers, will deal direct with them rather than you.

Once a claim has been received reports will be requested from relevant departments and the information will be passed to the council’s insurers. You will be advised when your claim has been passed to the insurers and given their details.

When insurers receive the claim they will contact you (or your nominated representative) direct.

Sometimes the council’s insurers will decide that a claim should be passed on to another party. For example, if damage has been caused by a contractor working for the council the claim might be passed on to their company.