Tell us what you think about our site... Council and University Student Housing Project - Warwick District Council
Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Service updates for the public and businesses. Welcome back to the town centres from 15 June.

Coronavirus information and advice
Published: Wednesday, 11th December 2019

Warwick District Council and the University of Warwick have been working together on a student housing project.

Since the beginning of the new academic year Warwick District Council and the University of Warwick have been working together on a student housing project to benefit the communities living in and near to the many shared student houses in the district.  

In September the Council and University joined forces to appoint a new student housing enforcement officer whose role is to work with private landlords and students to identify problem areas, ensure that properties are safe and well-managed, improve communications with residents and raise awareness of student rights and responsibilities as tenants. During the first term the scheme has received positive feedback in the community.

Student Housing Enforcement Officer, Rebecca Frazer, commented;

“The new role has given us the opportunity to engage our tenants and local residents about shared houses and identify some of the issues they face. This means we have been able to target resources at ‘hot spot’ areas where we will undertake proactive inspections of student properties and challenge landlords if they fail to meet the high standards we expect.”

University of Warwick Vice-President for Regional Engagement, Simon Swain, commented;

“We are delighted to have funded a role that is making a real difference to the whole community of students, landlords, and all those living near to properties housing students.”

In January the student housing enforcement officer will start an inspection programme of small houses in multiple occupation to make sure they meet legal and fire safety standards.

If any tenant has concerns about disrepair in their accommodation they can contact the Private Sector Housing Team for support and advice. They can inspect your privately rented property for hazards.

Feeds from the web