What should I do when renting from a private landlord, and receiving housing benefit?

Before you sign the tenancy agreement you can check the maximum Housing Benefit you may receive under the Local Housing Allowance rules. Housing Benefit does not cover the cost of certain things which may be included in your rent such as fuel, water charges, laundry etc. These are called ineligible charges, if these are included in your rent the rent officer will take the value of these off the rent as we cannot pay for them.

Local Housing Allowance