Main Modifications Consultation on the Warwick District Net Zero Carbon Development Plan Document (DPD)
The Net Zero Carbon DPD was submitted to the Secretary of State, through the Planning Inspectorate on 17th October 2022. Hearing sessions forming part of the Examination in Public ran from 7th-9th March 2023.
Following examination hearing sessions, the Inspector's 'post hearing letter' was received on 30th March 2023 setting out his initial findings and next steps. The Inspector has recommended ‘main modifications’ to the DPD to ensure that the DPD is sound and legally compliant in accordance with paragraph 35 of the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF).
This consultation was seeking views on the proposed Main Modifications only. It is not an opportunity to raise matters that either were, or could have been, part of the earlier representations or hearings on the submitted plan. Comments are to focus on whether the proposed Main Modifications comply with legal requirements and are considered sound.
The Main Modifications are proposed by the Inspector under section 7C of the Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004:
“(7C) If asked to do so by the local planning authority, the person appointed to carry out the examination must recommend modifications of the document that would make it one that: -
a) satisfies the requirements mentioned in subsection (5)(a), and
b) is sound.”
The Consultation period ran for six weeks from Monday 5th June - Monday 17th July 2023.
The main consultation documents are:
- EXAM 18 - Final Schedule of Proposed Main Modifications to the Submission Net Zero Carbon DPD
- EXAM 20 - SA/HRA Addendum updates for proposed main modifications
Although not part of the consultation, the following documents are published for reference purposes only:
- EXAM 19- Final Schedule of Additional Modifications (Minor Changes) to the Submission Net Zero Carbon DPD
- EXAM 21- Track Change version of the Net Zero Carbon DPD showing all proposed modifications (Main and Additional Modifications)
The Additional Modifications to the plan are not required to make the plan sound but they either make the plan clearer and easier to understand or they correct factual errors. The Additional Modifications (Minor changes) are published alongside the Main Modifications for information purposes only and thus do not form part of the Main Modifications consultation. The Council has also produced an updated ‘track change’ version of the plan incorporating both the Main Modifications and Additional Modifications. The track change plan is published to enable people to see where changes have been made and this document should be read along with EXAM 18.
Printed copies of all documents were placed at the council’s main reception and deposit points. The details of the venues and opening times is set below.
Responding to the Consultation
- Representations can be made through the Council’s online consultation system
- Via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Or by post to FAO Planning Policy, NZC-Main Modifications Consultation, Town Hall, Parade, Royal Leamington Spa, CV32 4AT
This consultation closed on Monday 17th July, at 23:59pm.
Regulation 19 Consultation
A Regulation 19 consultation on the Net Zero Carbon Development Plan Document (DPD) commenced on 27 April 2022 and ran until 8 June 2022.
This policy document forms part of the Council’s ambitious Climate Emergency Action Plan which aims to ensure that new buildings do not continue to impact on climate change.
The draft DPD addresses climate change and sustainable construction in more detail than policies contained in the current Warwick District Local Plan 2011-2029 and if adopted will impose standards on developments to meet this council’s target of net zero carbon or as close as possible, by 2030 and the government target of meeting net zero carbon nationally by 2050.
In terms of delivering sustainable new buildings, carbon emissions are considered to be the most urgent aspect to address, particularly in light of the climate emergency. By ensuring new buildings are net zero in operation (or capable of being so without future retrofitting), the draft DPD seeks to prevent the scale of the future challenge of retrofitting from growing.
This consultation was concerned with the legal compliance and soundness of the draft DPD, and followed on from the Regulation 18 consultation that took place between July 2021 and September 2021.
- View the Regulation 19 consultation document and representations online - alternatively a PDF version is available
- Viability Assessment
- Sustainability Appraisal (SA) incorporating Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA), Equality Impact Assessment (EqIA) & Habitats Regulations Assessment (HRA) Report
- Sustainability Appraisal (SA) incorporating Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA), Equality Impact Assessment (EqIA) & Habitats Regulations Assessment (HRA): Non-Technical Summary
- Health Impact Assessment (HIA)
- Regulation 18 Consultation Report
- Energy & Sustainability Policy Review
Regulation 18 Consultation
A Regulation 18 consultation on the Net Zero Carbon Development Plan Document (DPD) commenced on 26 July 2021 and ran until 13 September 2021.
This consultation was the first stage in the preparation of this DPD and was seeking views on the content of the DPD.
- View the Regulation 18 consultation document and representations online - alternatively a PDF version is available
- Climate Change Viability Assessment Report
- Sustainability Appraisal Non-Technical Summary
- Sustainability Appraisal / Strategic Environmental Appraisal / Habitats Regulation Assessment (SA/SEA/HRA)
- SA/SEA/HRA Screening Response - Natural England
- SA/SEA/HRA Screening Response - Historic England