As the devastation in Ukraine continues to dominate the news, our thoughts and prayers are with the people of Ukraine. We stand ready to respond and to offer our support. We will be raising the Ukrainian flag at our town hall in Leamington Spa and Elizabeth House in Stratford-on-Avon, as a mark of our support and our sympathy for the families and friends of those involved in this unnecessary war.
Pledge of assistance for Ukrainians
You may be aware local government, at both the County and District level, have been instrumental in sourcing accommodation, providing support, identifying schools, securing a variety of healthcare interventions and many other measures, for both Afghan, Syrian and other UK Resettlement Scheme participants. We are working closely with district, borough and county colleagues to co-ordinate a response to support arrivals from Ukraine.
Homes for Ukraine
The Homes for Ukraine visa scheme supports visa applications from Ukrainians who have named people in the UK willing to sponsor them. This scheme allows Ukrainian refugees to find safety in the UK through sponsorship from the public. Details of the visa scheme are available at - Apply for a visa under the Ukraine sponsorship scheme (Homes for Ukraine). Visa applications can be completed by either the Ukrainian refugee or the sponsors, but will need to include details of both. Further guidance is available under Homes for Ukraine FAQ.
We will contact sponsors who have submitted a visa application to inspect accommodation to ensure it is suitable for the arriving refugees. Please find an outline of requirements detailed in the Homes for Ukraine FAQ and letter for sponsors.
- Accommodation should be safe, warm and provide adequate access to bathroom and kitchen facilities
- No rent should be charged, and it should be offered for at least six months.
- The visit will be carried out by a council officer who will carry out a basic check of the suitability of the home and also undertake a safeguarding check. This is a priority work area where we are working through a number of applications, we will be in touch with you as soon as possible to arrange a visit
Our housing officers have inspected over 120 properties to enable 300 Ukrainian refugees to be accommodated in the district. More properties come through on a weekly basis.
Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks
- Warwickshire County Council will contact sponsors directly to arrange a DBS check. Please visit information for sponsors for further information.
The property inspection or the DBS check will not necessarily delay the progress of visa applications, as the visa is not dependent on the property inspection. Once the visa is granted, the refugees are free to travel to join their sponsor.
£200 payments to guests
From Tuesday 3rd May this payment will be made by Warwickshire County Council through a payment system which will enable guests to collect monies from a Post Office branch. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the sponsor name, property address and guest names. Further information on the administration of this scheme is available at information for Ukrainian guests.
£350 payment to sponsors
The £350 thank you payment will be issued following checks being carried out, which will include a visit to your home and safeguarding checks. Once these checks have been completed and verified, the county council will contact you to make the payment. Further information can be found at Homes for Ukraine FAQ
This payment to sponsors will be made one month in arrears.
Resources for matching sponsors with families
- Reset Communities and Refugees - A national charity commissioned by the UK Government to help register and match refugees from Ukraine with sponsors from across the UK (matching and re-matching)
- Hand in Hand - A Coventry-based community organisation that matches UK sponsors and Ukrainian guests (matching and re-matching)
- OPORA - A national charitable organisation that provides both emergency and practical support to Ukrainians and their families who are looking to rebuild their lives in safety, having fled the war. In the UK, they operate an online platform for Ukrainian guests and UK sponsors looking to match for the Homes to Ukraine Scheme.
UK family scheme
There is UK Family Scheme, which is designed to enable Ukrainian applicants to join their family members in the UK. For more, see Apply for a Ukraine family scheme visa.
Information for residents
There are a number of ways for residents to support those affected by the conflict in Ukraine, details of some organisations supplying humanitarian aid are listed in Warwickshire County Council website Information for Residents.
Government support and advice
Ukraine and the UK the latest information from GOV.UK the latest information from GOV.UK
- UK visa support for Ukrainian nationals - Guidance on support available to Ukrainian nationals and their family members.
- Homes for Ukraine scheme and FAQ
Residents who wish to support Ukrainians affected by the invasion can find details of charities on the ground and seeking support at: How can we support Ukrainian Refugees?
Local support schemes:
- The Polish Centre fundraiser
- Local organisations are appealing for donations in response to the events in Ukraine
- Stand with Ukraine collection - Warwick Hospital
Please contact email@example.com or the helpline on 0800 408 1557 for any further information.