If you are a Warwick District Council tenant experiencing difficulties paying your rent, you may want to speak to our Financial Inclusion Officer on 01926 456454. This service is free of charge, and may be able to help you maximise your income and offer budgeting solutions. You can also contact Citizens’ Advice on 0800 144 8848 for an appointment.

You can check to see if any benefits or grants are available for you:

Gov.uk provide information and advice about rent arrears.

Energy saving advice

Act on Energy are on hand to offer advice and guidance in this difficult time for those struggling with their heating or energy bills. There is access to funding for insulation measures and emergency boiler replacements for homeowners. Act on Energy are conducting price comparisons on energy bills, and there is support available for residents who use prepayment meters.

To find out more, please call 0800 988 2881.

Contact us

Income recovery officers who monitor rent accounts:

  • Yusaf Ramzan - 01926 456433
  • Mark Herbert - 01926 456435
  • Gemma Weller  01926 456456
  • Caroline Huckvale - 01926 456438

Online: contact us about your council house rent payments

When you pay your rent on time, you contribute to the service Warwick District Council provides for you and your neighbours. Late rent payments mean the council has less to spend on repairing and improving your home and the area you live in.

Failure to make rent payments will result in you losing your home.