Housing benefit is paid by local councils to help pay your rent. How much benefit you receive will depend on your circumstances and how much you have to pay.


Find out who can claim housing benefit and how much you could receive.

Apply for housing benefit or council tax reduction

Only one form is required to claim both housing benefit and council tax reduction.

Application form: Housing benefit and council tax reduction 

Check your benefit account

If you are already on benefits you can check your housing benefit details online (registration required)

Change in circumstances

Tell us about a change of address, rent, household or income. Visit the Change in circumstances page.

Council tax reduction

Council tax reduction is paid by local councils to help pay your council tax. It replaced council tax benefit in 2013. 

Council tax reduction - Eligibility, applications and checking your account