Future plans for sports and leisure facilities in Kenilworth
We are investing in the leisure facilities at Abbey Fields Swimming Pool and Castle Farm Recreation Centre.
In August 2019 the Council agreed what facilities would be included in the new centres. And since this time we have been progressing the detailed designs for each site. View the Abbey Fields Swimming Pool and Castle Farm Recreation Centre proposals.
We have recently held a public consultation to get feedback on the designs to help refine the proposals. The consultation started on Monday 4 November and closed on Monday 9 December. We would like to thank everyone who took part.
The survey responses, along with a feedback from a range of stakeholder groups, are helping to shape the final design of the developments in time for the planning application planned for Spring 2020. The results from the consultation will be available by early February 2020.
Abbey Fields Swimming Pool
The Cultural Services Team is currently working on a scheme to significantly remodel the existing facilities, making the most of the stunning parkland setting. These plans include;
- Additional family indoor pool, which opens up to sun terrace. The plans include scope for a moveable floor to alter the water depth and direct access via a hoist from a fully accessible changing room
- Attractive conservatory style café for park and pool visitors
- New, larger changing rooms with family friendly facilities and specialised accessible changing provision
- New, bright and fresh entrance area and reception with views over the park
- Multi-purpose studio room for parties, meetings and other community uses
Castle Farm Recreation Centre
At Castle Farm, our plans are equally ambitious with designs in progress for a brand new leisure centre with greatly expanded facilities for the whole community to enjoy. Our current scheme includes;
- We will be replacing the existing building with a brand new leisure centre offering the latest fitness facilities and equipment
- 80 station gym
- Two exercise studios for an exciting new range of group fitness classes, including spin bikes
- Six court sports hall
- Stylish changing facilities and lockers
- Light and bright reception area and foyer making the most of the parkland setting
- New outdoor changing rooms for customers using football pitches
- A new petanque terrain for our local enthusiasts
- Exciting ‘interactive’ room… we are looking at options to make
We are continuing to work with the Kenilworth Wardens as they progress their ideas to move and extend their facilities to the wider Castle Farm site.
In line with the District Council's commitment to tackling climate change, work is underway to look at the building designs to make the facilities as close to carbon neutral as possible.
Scouts and Guides
We are also working with the Kenilworth Scouts and Guides to design a suitable new facility at Castle Farm.
What happens next?
The Cultural Services Team is progressing the designs with architects and we are aiming to submit a planning application for both sites early 2020. The public will have the opportunity to comment on the detail of the proposed designs at a public consultation late October to November 2019.
How do I find out more?
As our project progresses we will keep you up to date with leaflets and via our website. If you have any questions or comments in the meantime please email firstname.lastname@example.org.