The UK Government has introduced a requirement for voters to show photo ID when voting at a polling station. Voter ID will apply for all future elections. 

Which forms of ID can I use to vote?

You may already have a form of photo ID that is acceptable.  You can use any of the following:

  • Passport
  • Driving licence (including provisional license)
  • Blue badge
  • Certain concessionary travel cards
  • Identity card with PASS mark (Proof of Age Standards Scheme) 
  • Biometric Immigration document
  • Defence identity card
  • Certain national identity cards

For more information on which forms of photo ID will be accepted, visit the electoral commission website or call their helpline on 0800 328 0280.

If you don’t have an accepted form photo ID

If you don’t already have an accepted form of photo ID, or you’re not sure whether your photo ID still looks like you, you can apply for a free voter ID document, known as a Voter Authority Certificate. You can apply for this at the voter authority certificate service.

You only need to apply for a voter authority certificate if you are voting in a polling station. There is no requirement to provide Voter ID for postal or proxy voting.

In order to apply for a voter authority certificate, you will need to provide details such as your name, address, date of birth and national insurance number. You also need to submit a passport style photo along with your application.

Once you have applied, we will process your application, and you will receive your certificate in the post. This certificate is valid for 10 years.

If you need any help with applying for a Voter Authority Certificate or want to request an application form, you can contact the Electoral Services team at Warwick District Council by email at

If you are unable to complete the application form or supply us with a valid photograph, please contact the elections team at We can book you an appointment to visit our council offices where we can complete the application on your behalf and also take a suitable photograph.

Anonymous Elections Documents

If you are registered as an anonymous elector, you now need to apply for an Anonymous Elector Document in order to vote in a polling station.  You will not be able to vote at your polling station without it having this. In order to apply for an Anonymous Elector Document, you are required to complete a paper form only and send it to us, including a passport style photograph.

You only need to apply for this if you are an anonymous elector without a postal or proxy vote.

Emergency proxy on grounds relating to voter identification

Proxy voting means that if you aren't able to cast your vote in person, you can have someone you trust cast your vote for you. They must go to your polling station to cast your vote.

An elector may apply for an emergency proxy on grounds relating to voter identification if, after the deadline to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate, but before 5pm on polling day, any of the following apply:

  • An elector or proxy’s photographic ID, Voter Authority Certificate or an Anonymous Elector’s Document is lost, stolen, destroyed or so damaged that it is no longer useable after the deadline for making an application for a Voter Authority Certificate Document has passed.
  • An elector or proxy has sent their accepted form of photographic ID, that they would otherwise use to vote in person, to another person to prove their identity, and they consider it unlikely that it will be returned in time for polling day.
  • An elector or proxy applied for a form of accepted photographic ID including a Voter Authority Certificate Document in the 3 months before the deadline and immediately before the deadline it has not arrived, and they have not been refused or withdrawn their application.

To apply for a proxy vote, you have to complete a form and give a reason why you cannot get to your polling station in person.

Accessibility Resources

BSL: Which elections require photo ID, and which forms of ID can I use to vote? -

BSL: How to apply for free voter ID, if you need it -

Find out more

If you have any questions or would like to find out more, go to electoral commission voter ID, or call their helpline on 0800 328 0280.

This webpage will be regularly updated throughout the year as further information becomes available.

Last Updated – October 23