Current dog control orders
On 20 October 2017 the following Orders, made under the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005, become Public Space Protection Orders and will be enforced in accordance with Chapter 2 of the Anti-Social Behaviour Crime and Policing Act 2014.
In October 2020, these orders were extended for a further three years.
1. The Fouling of Land by Dogs (Warwick District Council) Order 2020
To remove faeces deposited by their dog from any land to which the public have access in the Warwick district and which is open to the air (including land which is covered but open to the air on at least one side). Note: This Order will replace and extend the existing controls under the Dogs (Fouling of Land) Act 1996.
View the Order: The Fouling of Land by Dogs Order 2020
2. The Dogs on Leads (Warwick District Council) Order 2020
To keep a dog on a lead at all times in the following areas:
- Jephson Gardens, Royal Leamington Spa
- Leamington Cemetery
- Milverton Cemetery
- Warwick Cemetery
- Kenilworth Cemetery
- The length of the public footpath (L9a) as it crosses Newbold Comyn Golf Course, Royal Leamington Spa
- All other sport grounds, fields and pitches not subject to the Dogs Exclusion (Warwick District Council) Order 2011, when in use for authorised sporting facilities.
View the Order: The Dogs on Leads Order 2020
3. The Dogs on Leads by Direction (Warwick District Council) Order 2020
To keep a dog on a lead when told to do so by an authorised officer on any land to which the public have access in the Warwick district and which is open to the air (including land which is covered but open to the air on at least one side).
View the Order: The Dogs on Leads by Direction Order 2020
4. The Dogs Exclusion (Warwick District Council) Order 2020
To prohibit them from taking dogs into any of the following areas:
- Any clearly demarcated children's play areas (PDF), paddling pool, bowling green, multi use game area, tennis court, or putting green signed as a "dog exclusion zone" (whether the sign uses those particular words and/or symbols having like effect)
- The main racetrack surface at Warwick Racecourse except when directly crossing the track either way at the designated public access points*
- Mid-Warwickshire (Oakley Wood) Crematorium (excluding the car park areas when used to directly access Oakley Wood)
Please note: by Act of Parliament, The Warwick District Council Act 1984 Section 4. (5)(b) - according to this Act, Warwick Racecourse have the right to close the public footpaths for the entirety of a race day, and for the four days prior to a race day. However, the Racecourse find that a closure window of three hours prior and one hour following are ample for their purposes, for a normal race day. Temporary signs are put in place by the Racecourse on race days to advise members of the public.
View the Order: The Dogs Exclusion Order 2020
The penalty in relation to any offence in the above four Dog Control Orders is a fixed penalty notice in the sum of £50 to be paid within 14 days. If the penalty notice is not paid or is not appropriate, Warwick District Council may prosecute the offender in the Magistrates court.
- The Dogs on Leads order 2020
- The Dogs on Leads by Direction order 2020
- The Dogs Exclusion order 2020
- Dog fouling