Formal Victorian park in Leamington Spa
Opening hours: Open every day from 8am.
Closing times vary between 4pm and 9pm depending on the time of year.
See entrance gates for current closing times.
Postcode: CV32 4AA - Location map
What to see and do:
- Glasshouse - interesting tropical plants and goldfish pond;
- The Aviary Café – beautiful Victorian tea pavilion;
- Jephson's event venue – weddings, conferences and celebrations;
- Boating – from Leam Boat Centre, Mill Gardens;
- South Lodge - ranger office and history display;
- Flowers - colourful floral displays and mixed borders;
- Trees – around 140 species of native and non-native trees;
- Explore the sculpture collection;
- Find memorials to past citizens of Leamington;
- Watch ducks and geese on the lake;
- Play area in Mill Gardens.
- Ranger service;
- Toilets, disabled toilets and baby change;
- All areas accessible by wheelchairs and pushchairs.
- Dogs must be kept on a lead in Jephson Gardens. Dogs are not allowed in Mill Gardens play area;
- No cycling in the Gardens.
The Sensory Garden has been redesigned and will officially open in June 2015.
We’ve planted fruit and vegetables for visitors to eat as well as lots of scented and colourful plants to smell and see. We've also installed a xylophone, mirrored archway, benches and lots of bug homes to encourage pollinating insects.
As part of our Sensory Garden redesign, we gave out 500 free dwarf sunflower plugs to ten local schools. Pupils have looked after the sunflowers and will visit the Sensory Garden to plant them in early June.
East Lodge Garden
A joint project between the council, BID Leamington and Warwick and Leamington Beekeepers, the garden at East Lodge will be the permanent home for a gazebo which was created for the BID Leamington entry at the Chelsea Flower Show in 2014.
Plants will be insect-friendly and two beehives will be placed in the garden. The project will be completed by late July 2015.
First laid out in 1831 as informal riverside walks along the River Leam, the land was renamed Jephson Gardens and developed into formal gardens after 1846. They were named in honour of Dr Henry Jephson, a famous doctor who had promoted the town as a spa.Originally the settling beds for the town’s water supply, Mill Gardens was landscaped as part of improvements to the River Leam in 1901-03, which created an improved riverside landscape.
Like many parks, Jephson Gardens and Mill Gardens fell into slow decline after World War II. They were restored by Warwick District Council in the early 2000s with help from a Heritage Lottery Fund grant of over £3 million.
Jephson Gardens and Mill Gardens are part of the Spa Gardens, a ribbon of riverside parks in Leamington that are listed as Grade II on the English Heritage register of historic parks and gardens.
How to get there:
- Bike – bike racks on Newbold Terrace and outside East Lodge;
- Bus – most services stop at the Lower Parade or the Parish Church. More on buses to parks;
- Rail – 10-minutes walk from Leamington Spa station via Pump Room Gardens;
- Car and motorcycle – on-street pay and display parking and disabled parking in Newbold Terrace and Newbold Street. Other nearby car parking includes St Peters and Rosefield Street car parks.
- Royal Pump Rooms – award winning art gallery and museum, tourist information, café, public library, events and functions;
- Old Town trail, self-guided walk from the Royal Pump Rooms;
- Events in Leamington Town Centre - See Royal Leamington Spa;
- Churches – All Saints and St Peter’s, two magnificent Victorian interiors;
- Regency town centre – shopping, pubs, restaurants;
- Town walks - organised by Leamington History Group;
- Riverside Walk , upstream to Newbold Comyn Park, downstream to Victoria Park and Warwick.
Jephson Gardens is maintained by Warwick District Council. Call 01926 353365 or email email@example.com