Leamington's Village Green
Opening hours: All day, every day
Postcode: CV32 4AA
Parking: On-street pay-and-display parking on Dormer Place. Multi-storey parking at St Peter's car park (5 minute walk)
The Pump Room Gardens opened in 1814. At first, they were private gardens for patrons visiting the adjacent Pump Rooms. Visitors came to drink and bathe in the spa water, believing it had health-giving properties. They would then walk around the gardens for their daily exercise.
A number of events were held in the gardens, including military band concerts and flower shows. A famous tightrope walker, Charles Blondin, crossed the Pump Room Gardens in front of 7000 people in 1852.
In 1876, the gardens were opened to the public for the first time. Many improvements were carried out over the following decades. Flowerbeds were introduced and the existing bandstand installed.
The Pump Room Gardens are now a valuable area of open space for local people and visitors to the town. Along with the other Spa Gardens, they are Grade II listed on the English Heritage Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England.
The Pump Room Gardens are benefitting from a £1.4m restoration to health. Almost £1m of funding has been received for this project from the Heritage Lottery Fund Parks for People grant. Further contributions have been made by the Friends of the Pump Room Gardens and Warwick District Council. The total investment in the Pump Room Gardens will be £1.4m. Full details of the Restoration project.
Friends of the Pump Room Gardens
In 2012, the Friends of the Pump Room Gardens raised funds to help the council restore eight Linden Arches which provide lighting along the avenues of lime trees. They have raised £100,000 of match funding for the £1.4m restoration project.
How to get there:
- Bike – bike racks outside the Pump Rooms
- Bus routes
- Rail – 5-minute walk from Leamington Spa station
Events and filming
Parks maintenance - contact us