Register a food business

Licence summary

All food businesses (including catering businesses run from home and mobile or temporary premises, such as stalls and vans) must be legally registered with their local food authority at least 28 days prior to trading. You can register your food business online below.

Using a residential property for any form of commercial catering may require planning permission. This includes any activities associated with the preparation of food that is to be sold. Before undertaking any such activities you should contact Development Services for more advice on any planning requirements via the following email address:

If you intend to open at any time during the period of 11pm and 5am for the sale of hot food or drink you will also require a licence under the Licencing Act 2003.

Find out about registering a business on GOV.UK.


A summary of regulations relating to this licence


You can register a food business on the website.

Register a food business

For temporary events, markets, stalls download:

It is in the public interest for this application to be processed quickly. If you do not hear from us within 28 days, please contact us.

Contact us

For information or help relating to this licence or any associated applications please contact us at:

Food safety enquiry form

Food Safety Team
Warwick District Council
Town Hall
Royal Leamington Spa 
CV32 4AT

Tel: 01926 456713

The Food Safety Team issues approvals to certain businesses dealing in foods of animal origin (e.g. meat, milk and egg products).

The team provides advice and information to food businesses in the local area to ensure all food supplied is wholesome and produced in a clean, hygienic manner. This is most effective when the Environmental Health Practitioner calls at your particular premises to give the specific advice that you need. You can also find information on the Food Standards Agency website.

In partnership with EUGO