Recycle your coffee pods with Podback
We are working with Podback to provide this new free recycling service, helping you to recycle your pods (coffee, tea and hot chocolate) as part of your normal kerbside recycling collection.
Podback is a nationwide, not-for-profit, coffee pod recycling service. Created by the biggest names in coffee pod systems, Nespresso, NESCAFÉ Dolce Gusto and Tassimo, to give people who enjoy the quality and taste of coffee pods simple and easy ways to recycle them.
How to get started
It’s easy to start recycling your pods, simply follow the steps below:
- Sign up and order your FREE recycling bags from Podback Follow the online instructions to create your personal Podback account.
- Podback will send you two rolls of recycling bags, along with an instruction leaflet. Each roll contains 13 bags for recycling your aluminium or plastic coffee pods. Bags are sent by Royal Mail and should arrive within 7 – 10 working days.
- Once you have your bags, fill them as instructed.
- Place the bag(s) alongside or on top of the lid (not inside) of the waste, recycling or garden waste container(s) by 6:00am on the scheduled collection day
- When you need to top up your supply of recycling bags you can log into your account on the Podback website and reorder.
I live in a flat, can I still participate in the scheme?
If you live in a block of flats with a communal bin collection, you can use the Podback Drop Off service, provided by Yodel. To find out more, and how to get your free recycling bags for this service, please visit the Podback website.
What types of coffee pods can be recycled?
Plastic and aluminium pods for coffee, tea, hot chocolate and milk can be recycled using Podback collection bags. When you sign up on the Podback website, you’ll be asked what brand of pods you use. This is so you get the correct bag – white bags for aluminium pods, green bags for plastic pods. The two materials need to be collected separately as they are sent to different recycling facilities.
White bags for aluminium pods:
Green bags for plastic pods:
What happens to the pods once collected?
The coffee pods you recycle with Podback are taken to specialist aluminium and plastics reprocessing plants in the UK. The coffee grounds are removed, and the plastic and aluminium are then transformed into new products, including beverage cans, plastic food trays and packaging crates. The coffee grounds are used to create renewable energy (biogas) and soil improver. Find out more by watching our video.
Frequently asked questions
Please read our FAQs to find out more about the Podback service.