Our Conservation team is currently reviewing the conservation areas in Warwick District.  A new appraisal for Baddesley Clinton Conservation Area has been adopted following a 3-week public consultation period.

What is a conservation area?

Conservation areas exist to protect the special architectural and historic interest of a place, including the features that make it unique and distinctive.

There are extra planning controls in conservation areas, covering the external appearance of buildings and works to trees. These controls are intended to protect the architectural and natural features that make the place special.

Extra controls in conservation areas

Article 4 Directions are tailored by the council to control particular types of work within conservation areas. They help to protect the character and appearance of the area by safeguarding features that make a positive contribution. 

Not all conservation areas have an Article 4 Direction, but where they do exist you will need to get planning permission before you carry out the works they control. This might relate to replacement windows, the demolition of front garden walls, roof extensions, or other alterations.

The Article 4 Direction for the Sherbourne Conservation area is now in effect.

Please consult the Information Sheet for further details or contact the conservation team by emailing conservation@warwickdc.gov.uk.

Works to buildings or trees in conservation areas

Please visit the online Planning Portal to establish if your development proposal needs planning permission.

For works to trees visit tree preservation. Enquiries relating to trees should be directed to planning.enforcement@warwickdc.gov.uk.

Changing windows or roofing materials in a conservation area

Historic windows should be retained and repaired wherever possible. If repair is beyond the skills of a good craftsperson, a like-for-like copy should be made. 

If your house is in a conservation area with an Article 4 Direction you may need planning permission to alter the windows or to change the roofing materials.

If your property is a flat or a building in non-residential use within a conservation area, you are likely to require planning permission to alter the windows or to change the roofing materials.

If your building is listed, you will also need listed building consent.

Like-for-like repairs do not usually require any consent. Listed building consent will likely be required if any replacement is proposed (i.e. windows, roofing material and rainwater goods), even on a like-for-like basis.

The council has produced detailed advice about alterations to historic windows and altering historic roofs.

Painting Regency buildings in the Leamington Spa Conservation Area

The council has produced specific guidance on painting Regency buildings in the Royal Leamington Spa Conservation Area.

Demolition in a conservation area

If you want to demolish a building or other structure in a conservation area, you may require planning permission. If the building is listed you will also need listed building consent

Promoting good design

The council encourages all applicants to submit a concise design and access statement to demonstrate how an understanding of the character of the site, its surroundings, and relevant policy, has informed the design of your proposed scheme. These statements are often mandatory. We believe they speed up the decision-making process and improve design quality in all cases, both inside and outside of conservation areas.

Conservation area appraisals

The council has prepared conservation area appraisals for most of the district’s conservation areas. These outline the history of a specific conservation area and explain what makes it special. It also provides guidelines on the design of development within the conservation area.

View the conservation area appraisal for the Canal Conservation Area.

Energy efficiency in historic buildings

Historic England has put together some overarching guidance on How to Improve Energy Efficiency. This sets out their 'whole building approach' which considers:

  • context
  • construction
  • condition
  • historic significance
  • an understanding of all the factors that affect energy use, and
  • how to devise an energy efficiency strategy for any building

Energy efficiency and historic buildings

The energy efficiency and historic buildings guides on the Historic England site include focussed technical advice and guidance on improving the energy efficiency of historic buildings.

See our Energy efficiency for historic buildings page for more information.

Traditional windows

Historic England's Traditional windows: their care, repair and upgrading guidance covers both timber and metal windows and is aimed at building professionals and property owners.

Saving energy

Improving the energy efficiency of your home, whether it's listed, in a conservation area or built before 1919, can be done sympathetically and without compromising its historic character. Historic England's resource pages offer advice on how you can go about saving energy in your home.

Further advice and enquiries

If you need advice about altering your property in a conservation area, or to alter a listed building, you are advised to appoint an architect or appropriately qualified person with experience of working with heritage assets.

The council has produced a residential design guide to assist you and your professional adviser in satisfying the council’s design and conservation policies. (This design guide may be relevant for proposals both within and outside of conservation areas).

The council has a specialist conservation team comprising of two full time officers to advise planning officers on development affecting conservation areas and listed buildings.

Further detailed advice on conservation areas, listed buildings, scheduled monuments, registered parks and gardens, ecclesiastical exemption, and other heritage consents, is available from the website of Historic England

Guidance leaflets

Heritage fire safety

For further information on heritage fire safety: