The Warwick District Safety Advisory Group (SAG) advises on safety aspects for public events that are proposed to take place in the Warwick District Council area. SAG offer an independent quality assurance process for event proposals, through consultation and engagement with public safety organisations.
Safety Advisory Groups do not have legal powers or responsibilities. They are not empowered to approve or prohibit events from taking place. SAG's provide independent advice to event organisers, who retain the legal responsibility for ensuring a safe event.
Core membership of the Warwick District Safety Advisory Group comprises senior officers from various public safety organisations. Including:
- Emergency Services (Police, Fire and Rescue Service & Ambulance Service)
- Warwickshire County Council (Emergency Planning, Highways, & Traffic Enforcement)
- Warwick District Council (Building Control, Environmental Health, Health & Safety, Licensing and Emergency Planning)
- Health Agencies
Where appropriate the Safety Advisory Group will request a meeting with an Event Organiser to discuss their event with these public safety organisations. Alternatively, an Event Organiser can request a meeting with the SAG.
The Warwick District Safety Advisory Group’s main objectives are:
- To promote high standards of public health & safety
- To promote good practice in safety and welfare planning
- To promote a coordinated multi-agency approach to event management
- To promote the formulation of appropriate contingency and emergency arrangements
- To provide advice to minimise any adverse impact from events
- To advise, but not assist event organisers in the safe facilitation of events
The Group is chaired by the Warwick District Council Services Team Leader.
The terms of reference for the group and a summary of its members is published in the Warwick District SAG Terms of Reference.
What sort of events does the Warwick District SAG consider?
In general, a 'large scale public event' will be treated as being an event where more than 3000 people are expected to attend. Although smaller events may require the involvement of the SAG, depending on the event and areas of significant risk.
Typical examples of events would include:
- Large scale fetes, fairs, carnivals
- Open air concerts and music festivals
- Trade shows
- Sporting events
- Horse shows, agricultural shows, dog shows car, caravan shows and similar
- Open air entertainment including theatre, opera and historic re-enactments
- Firework displays
- Large scale company parties
- Processions, marches and carnivals
- Street parties
- Religious events
The SAG endorses the completion of the following documents for all events where appropriate. They would expect to see the following produced in advance of a Safety Advisory Group meeting:
- Event Plan detailing schedules, command structure, communications, marshalling, lost child & vulnerable adult policies, first aid arrangements, emergency communications and evacuation procedures.
- Full Risk Assessment of the event.
- Traffic Management plan detailing how traffic will be managed on the day (if appropriate).
- Site Map complete with evacuation points and emergency entrance / exit points for emergency vehicles.
- Public Liability Insurance.
- Contact details list with names and emergency telephone numbers.
When planning an event, a minimum of three month's notice to SAG should be provided and must include all event plan documents as listed above. Should these not be received it could result in refusal of the event taking place.
Contacting the SAG
For further information on the safety advisory group please contact:
- Safety advisory group enquiry form
- Tel: 01926 456222
General assistance for planning an event on council land
Warwick District SAG is not responsible for giving permission to use council land or granting licenses for events. If any organisation or community group wishes to use any park or open space that the council owns or manages, they should request permission and approval from the council’s Event team:
- Email: email@example.com
- Business Support & Events Officer, Gary Rudd - 01926 456018
- Business Support & Events Officer, Charlotte Sully - 01926 456222
- Business Support & Events Team Manager, Marcus Ferguson - 01926 456012