Warwick District Council works in partnership with Warwickshire Police and the Warwickshire Retail Crime Initiative in reducing crime and the fear of crime across the district. The aim of the scheme is to make our streets safer for everyone, to improve security in our car parks, to help Warwickshire Police identify offenders and contribute towards the management of the district.
Currently the scheme monitors over 190 cameras located primarily in the Leamington, Warwick and Kenilworth town centres and multi-storey car parks. Other locations covered by CCTV cameras in the scheme include:
- Lillington Crown Way Shopping Precinct
- Mason Avenue and the Community Centres
- Whitnash Acre Close Shopping Precinct, Community Centre and Recreation Ground
- Washbourne Fields and Coppice Road (Millennium Gardens)
- Jephson Gardens Temperate House
- The Royal Pump Rooms
- parts of the council's housing stock
The scheme operates 24 hours a day 365 days a year and is governed by a Code of Practice and is strictly regulated in accordance with:
- the Data Protection Act 2018
- General Data Protection Regulation 2018 (GDPR)
- The Human Rights Act
- the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act (RIPA)
- the Freedom of Information Act
Our Code Practice is based on the 12 Guiding Principles listed in the Home Office Surveillance Camera Code of Practice 2013. Our CCTV system is only the second in the country to have been awarded the British Standard for the management and operation of CCTV.
There is continuous liaison with the police who can be alerted to any incident in seconds and the images can are made available to the police to assist in the conviction of offenders by the courts.
For information on the code of practice and on 'subject access forms' (which need to be completed before any footage is made available for viewing) download the document below.
- CCTV Code of Practice
- CCTV Code of Practice - council buildings
- CCTV - further information
- Privacy notice
There are now a number of 'Help Points' located in various locations across the district. These allow members of the public to have direct voice contact the CCTV room operator. Help Points are located at the following locations.
- Leamington: Clarendon Avenue - adjacent to Shell garage, Parade Warwick Street junction, Parade Regent Street junction, Parade Pump Room Gardens, Bath Street - High Street junction, Clemens Street, Bedford Street car park, Warwick Street - Oxford Street
- Lillington: Crown Way shops
- Warwick: Warwick Market Place
- Whitnash: Heathcote Road Whitnash - Acre Close
CCTV Control Room performance
|Year||Total incidents||Major incidents||On screen arrests|
Warwickshire Retail Crime Initiative
The WRCI Scheme provides the 'ears' of the radio link system to the 'eyes' of CCTV. Over 200 businesses are involved across the three town centres providing vital intelligence. This includes the Pub Watch scheme which is working to help reduce violent crime in the town centre. For more information on becoming a member of the WRCI call 01926 450595.
Following on from our annual BS 7958 Inspection the evaluation reports are a combination of an outcome evaluation (whether the scheme has been effective) and a process evaluation (how well the scheme was implemented and is currently operating).
This advice will help you to understand what you need to do if you are considering installing, or have already installed, a CCTV system (or similar technology, such as video-equipped doorbell devices) on your home: