Tell us what you think about our site... Health and safety requirements - Warwick District Council

Employers' duties

All businesses must ensure the safety of people likely to be affected by their work activity, i.e. all members of the public, contractors, self employed persons and employees. All employers must

  • Obtain and display the Health and Safety Law Poster.
  • Display the Employers Liability Insurance Certificate.
  • Provide suitable first aid equipment in accordance with the Health and Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981
  • Provide an accident book.
  • Report certain types of accidents in accordance with the Reporting of Injuries Diseases & Dangerous Occurrences Regulations.
  • Provide suitable working conditions to comply with the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992.
  • Carry out a general risk assessment of the workplace to identify significant hazards.
  • Arrange for the regular inspection of any gas appliances (recommended to be done yearly) and any electrical appliances (recommended to be done yearly for portable appliances and five yearly for fixed wiring)
  • Arrange for the regular inspection of specialist equipment e.g. passenger or goods lifts.
  • Keep their staff informed of health and safety matters and ensure they receive suitable information and training.
  • Have a Safety policy (119kb, PDF). Those with 5 or more employees at one or more places of work must produce one in writing.

This checklist is only a summary of the main aspects of the law. For more information please visit the Health and Safety Executive website.

Health and safety start up advice for businesses

Health and safety information in other languages

A range of health and safety publications/leaflets in other languages are available on the HSE website.

HSE Information in languages other than English

Complaints about Health and Safety advice

If you wish to complain about the health and safety advice that you have been given by us, challenge a formal enforcement notice that has been served on you by us or challenge legal proceedings being instituted by us or are generally unhappy about the way you have been dealt with you can complain about the regulatory service. 

If you are still not satisfied you can seek resolution through the Independent Regulatory Challenge Panel.