Warwick Local Plan Examination
Inspector's Report (July 2017)
The inspector's report (566kb, PDF) (Jul 2017) and appendix (PDF) has been received by Warwick District Council. It is intended that the Council will consider a report on 20th September for adoption of the Local Plan.
You can read the associated press release - Warwick district's Local Plan has been approved.
Main modifications consultation (May 2017)
Examination in Public (September - December 2016)
The Local Plan Examination Hearings were formally closed by the Inspector, Mr Kevin Ward on 15th December.
The Inspector has stated that main modifications are required to make the submitted plan sound. He will be liaising with the council to produce a schedule of proposed main modifications and these will be subject to full public consultation and Sustainability Appraisal (SA) over the coming months.
The Inspector will take account of comments on the proposed main modifications and the SA before finalising his report to the council. Further updates will be provided.
Hearing Sessions have now closed. The Inspector has written to the council to outline his position at the close of the Hearings.
Planning Inspector, Mr Kevin Ward BA (Hons) MRTPI has been appointed to undertake an independent examination into the soundness of Warwick Local Plan.
The Inspector’s task is to consider the soundness of the submitted Plan, based on the criteria set out in paragraph 182 of the National Planning Policy Framework (the Framework). The relevant soundness criteria are whether the Local Plan is: 1 – positively prepared (based on a strategy that seeks to meet objectively assessed development and infrastructure requirements, including unmet requirements from neighbouring authorities where it is reasonable to do so and consistent with achieving sustainable development); 2 - justified (the most appropriate strategy when considered against the reasonable alternatives, based on proportionate evidence); 3 – effective (the plan should be deliverable over its period and based on effective joint working on cross-boundary strategic priorities); and 4 – consistent with national policy (the plan should enable the delivery of sustainable development in accordance with the policies in the Framework).
The Inspector will take into account the representations submitted upon the Local Plan at both Pre Submission and Focussed Change stages as far as they relate to soundness considerations. A number of informal debates will take place on the principal matters identified by the Inspector these are termed Hearing Sessions.
Following the closure of the Examination, the Inspector will prepare a report to the District Council with precise recommendations, these recommendations may include modifications to the Local Plan, if such a request is made by the District Council.
Guidance Notes (107kb, PDF) were prepared by the Inspector ahead of the Initial Hearings in March 2015 to help people understand the process. These Guidance Notes (97kb, PDF) have now been updated in preparation for the Stage 2 Hearings. Any queries people may have regarding the Examination process should be directed to the Programme Officer who will be happy to assist.
The Programme Officer
The Programme Officer, Ian Kemp, will act as the contact for any person who has an interest in the Examination and as a liaison between the Inspector, District Council and Representors.
He is an independent Officer of the Examination and works on behalf of the Inspector to organise and manage the administrative and procedural matters of the Examination process. Mr Kemp is the appropriate point of contact for any questions relating to timetabling or procedural matters. All statements will also be submitted through him.
Any matters that anyone wishes to raise with the Inspector should be submitted via the Programme Officer.
16 Cross Furlong
Telephone: 01527 861711
Mobile: 0772 300 9166
Hearing Sessions Venue, Timetable and Agendas
Initial hearings took place from 6th – 12th May 2015 within the Council Chamber of Leamington Spa Town Hall, The Parade, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, CV32 4AT.
- Matters and Issues Paper (74kb, PDF)
- Timetable for Discussions v5 (72kb, PDF)
- Matter 1 Agenda - Duty to Co-operate
- Matter 2 Agenda - Overall Provision for Housing
- Matter 3 Agenda - Supply & Delivery of Housing
Hearing Sessions resumed at 09.30am on Tuesday 27th September 2016 within the Assembly Hall of Leamington Spa Town Hall, The Parade, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, CV32 4AT.
The first 6 weeks of Hearings were held in the Town Hall before moving to the Bowls Pavilion, Victoria Park, Archery Road, Leamington Spa, CV31 3PT for weeks 7 – 9 (from 29th November onwards).
The Inspector prepared the following Agendas for the resumed hearings.
- Matter 2 Agenda - Overall Provision for Housing (57kb, PDF)
- Matter 4 Agenda - Spatial Strategy (45kb, PDF)
- Matter 5 Agenda - Economy & Employment (52kb, PDF)
- Matter 6 Agenda - Sub Regional Employment Site (55kb, PDF)
- Matter 7a Agenda - Warwick Whitnash & Leamington - Urban Brownfield (49kb, PDF)
- Matter 7a Agenda Tues 11 Oct (50kb, PDF)
- Matter 7a Agenda Thurs 13 Oct (51kb, PDF)
- Matter 7b Agenda Tues 18 Oct (46kb, PDF)
- Matter 7b Agenda Weds 19 Oct (49kb, PDF)
- Matter 7c (site H43) Mon 7 Nov (38kb, PDF)
- Matter 7c (sites H42 and S1) Tues 8 Nov (50kb, PDF)
- Matter 7c (site H08 and Direction of Growth) Weds 9 Nov (47kb, PDF)
- Matter 7d Agenda Thurs 10 Nov (59kb, PDF)
- Matter 7d Agenda Tues 15 Nov (57kb, PDF)
- Matter 7d Agenda Wed 16 Nov (53kb, PDF)
- Matter 7d Agenda Thur 17 Nov (67kb, PDF)
- Agenda Matter 8 - Other proposed site allocations (53kb, PDF)
- Agenda Matter 9 - Retail and Town Centres (53kb, PDF)
- Agenda Matter 10 - Culture, Leisure and Tourism (47kb, PDF)
- Agenda Matter 11 - University of Warwick and major sites in the Green Belt (46kb, PDF)
- Agenda Matter 13 - Other policies (52kb, PDF)
- Agenda Matter 14 - Transport (46kb, PDF)
- Agenda Matter 15 - Infrastructure, delivery and monitoring (45kb, PDF)
Written Statements - Initial Hearings
In response to the Inspectors Matters and Issues for discussion at the initial Hearings the following written submissions were received:
- Matter 1 Statements – The Duty to Co-operate
- Matter 2 Statements – Overall Provision for Housing
- Matter 3 Statements – The Supply and Delivery of Housing Land
Written Statements - Resumed Hearings
In response to the Inspector's Matters and Issues for discussion at the resumed Hearings the following written submissions were received.
- Matter 2 Written Statements - Overall Provision for Housing
- Matter 3 Written Statements - Supply and Delivery of Housing Land
- Matter 4 Written Statements - Spatial Strategy
- Matter 5 Written Statement - Economy and Employment
- Matter 6 Written Statement - Sub Regional Employment Site
- Matter 7A Written Statement - Warwick, Whitnash and Leamington Sites
- Matter 7B Written Statements - Kenilworth Sites
- Matter 7C Written Statement - Edge of Coventry Sites
- Matter 7D Written Statement - Growth Villages and Hockley Heath
- Matter 8 Written Statements - Other Proposed Site Allocations
- Matter 9 Written Statements - Retail & Town Centres
- Matter 10 Written Statements - Culture Leisure & Tourism
- Matter 11 Written Statements - University of Warwick & Major GB Sites
- Matter 12 Written Statements - Housing Policies
- Matter 13 Written Statements - Other Policies
- Matter 14 Written Statements - Transport
- Matter 15 Written Statements - Infrastructure Delivery & Monitoring
27th March 2015 – Deadline for notifying Programme Officer of Requests to participate in initial hearing sessions.
17th April 2015 – Deadline for receipt of Written Statements by Programme Officer – please refer to Guidance Notes for format and submission details.
6th – 12th May 2015 – Initial hearings.
11 March 2016 - 22 April 2016 - Proposed Modifications Consultation
June 2016 - Council to submit Proposed Modifications, representations and updated evidence to the Inspector.
12th August 2016 - Deadline for notifying Programme Officer of Requests to participate in Stage 2 hearing sessions.
31st August 2016 – Deadline for submission of written statements addressing Matters 1 – 7.
27th September 2016 – Hearing Sessions Commence within Leamington Town Hall.
25th October 2016 – Deadline for submission of written statements addressing Matters 8 – 15.
29th November 2016 – Hearing Sessions continue within the Bowls Pavilion, Leamington Spa.
March 2017 - Consultation on Proposed Modifications to the Submitted Local Plan
Summer 2017 - Council adopt Local Plan (provisional)
Further details of the key stages for the Local Plan can be found in the Local Development Scheme (LDS)
Evidence Base Documents
In preparing the Local Plan the District Council both refer to and were informed by a number of documents that together form the 'Evidence Base' for the Examination. These documents are available in the Submission Documents and Evidence Base Library.
Local Plan Examination suspension and letters
- The Local Plan was submitted on 30th January 2015 for examination. Full details of the process, the documents submitted and the Inspector's letter following initial hearings are available on the Examination pages.
- The Inspector wrote to the council following its request for suspension of the Local Plan and the council's report outlining the way forward for the Local Plan (item 11) was approved by the council on 12th August 2015.
- The council wrote to the Inspector requesting a suspension of the Examination. This followed the council's approval of a report recommending the way forward for the Local Plan on 13th October 2015.
- The Inspector agreed to suspend the Local Plan Examination until May 2016 dependent on satisfactory progress being made to address the Inspector’s concerns following the initial hearings in May 2015. Key correspondence is on the examination page.