The Ranger Service helps to provide a safe, friendly and welcoming experience for people visiting our parks and open spaces. They also help to manage the Council’s car parks.
Their work includes:
- A high profile uniformed presence
- Tackling anti-social behaviour and working in partnership with the Police and CCTV operators
- Providing high quality customer service – help, support, information and directions to visitors
- Being a trusted face – providing basic first aid where needed and helping vulnerable persons or lost children
- Reporting defects and maintenance issues to the relevant authority
- Managing informal groups and rough sleepers professionally and sensitively
- Supporting events in parks and open spaces
- Patrolling parks, cemeteries and car parks and securing them out of hours
- Enforcement activity
The Ranger Service is available 7 days a week (8am-10pm Sep to Apr and 8am-8pm Apr to Sep).
There is also a Community Ranger who works mainly in our larger parks. Their work includes:
- Organising events in parks including Jephson’s Jungle Club, Hive of Activity, Bat Walks and History Walks
- Working with community groups
- Teaching school groups (more information below)
- Conducting customer satisfaction surveys
- Ensuring adequate signage and information
Look out for information about forthcoming events on our park noticeboards.
The Community Ranger has created a number of outdoor-based, cross-curricular lesson plans and learning activities for schools to use in Jephson Gardens. Activities are available for Key Stage 1 and 2. They include:
- Science - growth and adaptation of plants
- Local History Project - how Jephson Gardens has changed over time
- Art - sketching, photography, natural art
For more information on school group visits to parks email firstname.lastname@example.org.