What is a local connection?

To have a local connection to Warwick district, you must:

  • have lived in the district through your own choice for at least six months out of the last 12 months, or at least three years out of the last five years;
  • be employed in Warwick district or can evidence an offer of employment in the district, permanent or temporary paid work, for a period of at least one year; or
  • have family associations i.e. mother, father (or other primary care giver), son, daughter, brother or sister who is aged over 18 who has lived in accommodation as their main or only home in Warwick district for at least 5 years before the date of your application ; or
  • can evidence a continuing caring responsibility for someone resident within the Council’s Local Authority area ;or
  • are a person aged 18, 19 or 20 who was looked after, accommodated or fostered by Warwickshire County Council between the ages of 16 and 18; or
  • are a former Warwickshire County Council care leaver aged 21 years of age or over, who is not a relevant student and who is vulnerable as a result of having been looked after, accommodated or fostered; or
  • are in or evidences that they are due to undertake training or further education within the Council’s Local Authority area, which has a duration of at least 6 months

If none of these apply to you, you cannot apply for properties through HomeChoice.

There are some exceptions where you do not need a local connection to apply for HomeChoice. This depends on your circumstances, the reason you are applying for housing and whether special rules apply to you. If you think that any of the following might apply to you, fill in a HomeChoice form, giving as much information as possible. We will let you know if you can join HomeChoice.

  • You (or in some cases a spouse or civil partner) are a current or former member of the armed forces.
  • You are escaping from domestic violence.
  • You are a council or housing association tenant who does not live in the district but has the ‘right to move’ or a key worker and need to move to Warwick district for work.
  • You have been found by a council to be homeless.
  • You need to move to Warwick district to avoid hardship.
  • You need to move to Warwick district to be near special medical or support services.                                                                                                                                                                                                        
  • You need to move because of your medical condition, a disability, or for your welfare.

You can find more information and guidance about the local-connection rules in the housing allocations policy.