Tell us what you think about our site... HomeChoice application form guidance - Applying for a council home - Warwick District Council

HomeChoice application form guidance

Please read these notes carefully before completing the HomeChoice Application Form and retain them for your information.

HomeChoice is a scheme which Warwick District Council operates along with a number of housing associations. We let available homes to those in housing need.

We advertise new and existing council and housing association properties through HomeChoice. This means that you will only have to fill in one form to apply for housing and everybody is assessed in the same way, no matter who the landlord is.

There are many more people applying for housing each year than there are empty properties to let and HomeChoice helps us to decide which applicants are allowed to register and who will be given priority for housing.

Registering on HomeChoice

To register on HomeChoice, you must:

  • be over 16 years old (we usually only offer tenancies to applicants aged over 18 so if you are under 18 please contact the Housing Advice Team to discuss your options);
  • meet the immigration rules to move into social housing;
  • not have been found guilty of unacceptable behavior which could have resulted in, or actually did result in, the courts gaining possession of your home; and
  • have a local connection to Warwick district.

Please see section 3 for further information on local connection.

Application form and process 

When we have received your application form, we will assess your application and place you in one of 5 bands.

You can download our HomeChoice Allocations Policy  for further information on how we assess your application.

We will usually process your application within 21 working days but in busy periods it will take longer. We will send you a letter confirming:

  • your user number
  • your registration date
  • the band we have placed you in
  • the number of bedrooms you need
  • information about how you can view and bid for available properties

If you do not agree with the band you are in or have been told you are not eligible to register, you can ask us to review your application. You must do this in writing within 21 days of the date on the decision letter. We will review your case and tell you the outcome in writing. Once you have received this decision, there is no further right of appeal.

We will need you to complete the information on this application form in order for us to decide if you can join HomeChoice and what priority you may have for housing.

The information you give on this form is confidential and is covered by the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998, the General Data Protection Regulations and all subsequent legislation. We will hold this personal information and process it to assess your housing need.

We may obtain information about you from others for any of our purposes if the law allows us to do so. We may also share information with certain other organizations if the law allows us to.

To find out more about how we use information, contact any of our offices or view our privacy statement.

If you become our tenant, we will use the information on this form for housing-management purposes. Before we offer you a property, a Housing Officer may visit you to confirm your household details.

  • Please fill in the form in black ink and capitals
  • Please answer all the questions and send us all the documents asked for otherwise your application will be delayed.
  • If you need help completing the form ask a friend, relative or organisation you know and trust to help you.

Section 1 - your details

Current address - If you are street homeless or sofa-surfing at several different addresses please state ‘No Fixed Address’ or NFA.

You will need to supply us with a postal or email address where we can send correspondence to.

If you need someone to act on your behalf any correspondence can be sent to your advocate’s address.

Section 2 - Household

If you have ticked the box to say that a person who you want to be housed with lives elsewhere please explain why they do not live with you at your current address and why they need to live with you when you move at section 14.

Any adults or children (16 years or over) who currently live elsewhere and who wish to be re-housed with you, should complete their own HomeChoice application form, stating that they want to live with you and why.

Where two households want to be re-housed together and currently do not live at the same address: both the applicant and joint applicant should complete a HomeChoice application form.  

We only take account of children if they live with you permanently and it is their main home. We take account of unborn children from 25 weeks into the pregnancy. Please let us have sight of your Mat. B1 certificate.

If you are an approved foster carer or prospective adopter please let us have confirmation from Social Services.

Section 3 - Local connection

You will have a local connection to Warwick district if you normally reside in the district and have done so for at least 6 out of the last 12 months or 3 out of the last 5 years. ‘Normal residence’ is to be understood as meaning ‘the place where at the relevant time the person in fact resides’ and that residence must be of your own choice.

You will have a local connection if you are employed in Warwick district in permanent paid work (we do not accept casual employment).

If the name and address of your employer are outside of the Warwick district area please state at section 14 the address of where you work. 

Please let us have sight of your contract of employment.

If you are self-employed, we will write to you for further information.

You will have a local connection if you have a close family association in Warwick district (son, daughter, brother, sister, mother or father who is over 18 and has lived in the district for 5 years or more).

Please give full details of any close family associations in the Warwick district: you cannot claim a local connection through a close relative if you are estranged from that family member. 

If another Local Authority has accepted a homeless duty to you please let us have sight of their decision letter.

If you have ticked Yes to any question on page 5 please give us as much information as possible at section 14. We will write to you separately for further information if you have ticked Yes to any of the questions about serving in the armed forces.

Section 4 - Immigration status

If you are subject to immigration control, we will need to see the documents issued by the Home Office that tell us on what grounds you are allowed to reside in the UK.

Some people from abroad and British Citizens coming to the UK to live for the first time or returning to live in the UK within the last 2 years prior to their application for housing may need to provide us with further information to establish if you are habitually resident in the UK. We will write to you separately about this.

Section 6 - Where you have lived

Please give the full addresses where you and your partner have lived over the last 5 years starting with your current address. Please give the addresses you stay at if you are sofa-surfing. Please tell us the full name and address of the landlord or the person you pay rent to or the person you are staying with. Please say in the box headed tenure if you are or were a tenant, owner, lodger, living with family or friends. Please continue at section 14 if you need to give us more addresses.

Section 7 - Tenure

Please complete these details for your current address only. Housing Association tenants please send us a copy of your latest rent statement.

Section 9 - Health

If your current home is unsuitable for you or anyone else who lives with you, due to a medical condition please send us any letters you may have from your GP or hospital, or any medical health professional that explains why. If you have a report from an Occupational Therapist please send us a copy. If you are receiving Disability Living Allowance, Attendance Allowance or Personal Independence Payment please let us have a copy of the award notice

We may need to write to you further about this.

Section 10 - Economic status and household income

Savings and capital assets include:

  • Cash you have saved for something
  • Bank accounts including current accounts
  • Building society accounts including current accounts
  • Post Office Accounts
  • National Savings Certificates
  • Premium Bonds
  • Income or Capital bonds
  • Unit Trusts and Shares
  • ISAs PEPs and any other investments
  • Money, property or land held in trust

Please add together all the amounts and tell us how much they are worth in total.

Please sign and date the application form to confirm you have read and understood the declaration.

Returning the form

When you have filled in the form, please return to PO Box 2175, Warwick District Council, Riverside House, Milverton Hill, Royal Leamington Spa, CV32 5QE.

Where possible, we will provide information in other formats, such as large print, and in languages other than English.

Housing organisations

The housing organisations listed here are all taking part in Warwick District HomeChoice.

Ashram Moseley
106 Alcester Road, Moseley, Birmingham B13 8EF Phone: 0300 111 7000

Bromford Housing Group
1st Floor, Friars Gate, 1101 Stratford Road, Solihull B90 4BN
Phone: 0330 123 4034

Citizen Housing Group
4040 Lakeside, Solihull Parkway, Birmingham Business Park B37 7YN
Phone 0300 7906 6555

Housing & Care 21
Tricorn House, 51-53 Hagley Road, Birmingham B16 8TP
Phone: 0370 192 4000

Midland Heart
Coventry Office, Highfield House, St Nicholas Street, Coventry CV1 4BN
Phone: 0345 602 0540

Orbit Housing Association
Garden Court, Harry Weston Road, Binley Business Park, Coventry CV3 2SU
Phone: 0800 6781221

Platform Housing
1700 Solihull Parkway, Birmingham Business Park, Birmingham, West Midlands B37 7YD
Phone: 0333 200 7304

Head Office Customer Service Centre, Riverside, 2 Estuary Boulevard, Estuary Commerce Park L24 8RF
Phone: 0345 111 0000

Stonewater Housing Association
Second Floor, Enterprise Centre, Coventry University Technology Park, Puma Way, Coventry, CV1 2TT.
Phone 01202 319 119

Optivo Housing
41 Poplar Road, Kings Heath, Birmingham B14 7AA
Phone: 0800 121 60 60

Warwick District Council
The Housing Department Riverside House, PO Box 2175, Royal Leamington Spa CV32 5QE
Phone: 01926 456129

Warwickshire Rural Housing Association
Whitwick Business Centre, Stenson Road, Coalville, Leicestershire LE67 4JP
Phone: 0300 1234 009

Electoral Register

We would like to remind you about the importance of being on the Electoral Register. You can only vote in elections if your name is on this register. Registering to vote helps you hold a better record with credit agencies.

If you are not registered you can register in one of the following ways:

  • Register on line you will need your date of birth and national insurance number. 
  • Register over the telephone by contacting us on (01926) 456105
  • Download an application form return it to Electoral Registration Officer, Warwick District Council, Riverside House, Milverton Hill, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire CV32 5HZ.

To find out more, visit the direct gov. website.