What does self-isolating mean?
If you have been told to self-isolate, you will need to get to the place you are going to stay using your normal mode of transport, once there remain indoors and avoid contact with other people. This will prevent you from spreading the disease to your family, friends and the wider community.
In practical terms, this means that once you reach your residence you must:
- stay at home
- not go to work, school or public areas
- not use public transport like buses, trains, tubes or taxis
- avoid visitors to your home
- ask friends, family members or delivery services to carry out errands for you - such as getting groceries, medications or other shopping
- wash your hands thoroughly and frequently (as per NHS Guidance)
- avoid making contact with surfaces