Can I claim Housing Benefit if I live on a narrowboat?

Narrowboat users can claim Housing Benefit if it is their main residence. This benefit can be claimed for some aspects such as mooring charges, licence fees and rent on the boat if it is not owned by the occupant. However, it is possible that not all charges will be covered: the charges are referred to The Valuation Office, who make a decision about how much can be paid. Some licences, such as those for constant-cruising, may require further clarification. You will need to claim from the Local Authority in whose area you are moored. It would also be helpful to know the length of your boat and have the licence number.