The award winning redevelopment of the Royal Pump Rooms is the result of a project carried out 1997 - 99 by the building's owners, Warwick District Council.
From its opening in 1814 the Assembly Rooms and Baths in the Royal Pump Rooms had been used to provide health treatments, social activities and recreational services for local residents and visitors. By the late 1980s it was clear that the building required major redevelopment if it was to maintain its position as a key public facility into the 21st century. This was the background to its redevelopment as a home for Leamington’s principal cultural attractions. The town's Art Gallery & Museum, Library and Tourist Information Centre were moved to the restored building, which they share with the refurbished Assembly Rooms and new Tea Rooms. Work began on site in winter 1997 and the refurbished Royal Pump Rooms opened to the public in summer 1999. The total cost of the project was £7.1 million.
Warwick District Council’s partners in the redevelopment of the building were Warwickshire County Council, South Warwickshire Tourism and a commercial catering company.
Since reopening the project has won awards from:
- Association for Heritage Interpretation
- Heart of England Tourist Board
- Leamington Society
- Civic Trust
- Library Association
- Queen’s Golden Jubilee Green Apple Heritage Award
Local support and sponsorship
The project also benefited from widespread support from local people and organisations, including sponsorship for art commissions and the restoration of paintings.