Warwick district celebrated the torch
More than 100,000 people lined the streets in Warwick, Leamington and Kenilworth to welcome the Olympic Torch Relay to the district on 1st July 2012.
Family Fun Events were organised in our parks during the afternoon, with over 12,000 enjoying the activities.
- Charlotte Moore
- Andrew Clough
- Chloe Pahkne
- Georgina Harland
- Graham Fulford who is based in Warwick and has co-ordinated fundraising for Prostate Cancer awareness.
- Christopher Johnson
- Sheila Carey
- Sam Starvis who is a sports and exercise science Lecturer at Warwickshire College.
- Matthew McPolin
- Chiara Chipriani
- Nicholas Rigby
- Carina Haley
- Luke Hilson who has established two sports clubs for the local community; a Badminton Club aimed at all ages and an Ultimate Frisbee Club.
- Oliver Wheeldon
- Peter Frazier became the first person with a kidney transplant to run a Marathon in May 1981 and has gone on to run 7 Marathons since.
- Carina Yew Booth (13) has shown excellent support and assistance to her mother who suffers from Polio and is also part of the Young Fire-fighters Association.
- Doudou Lo
- Jasmine Morris
- David Taylor is a local sportsman and who has shown dedication to fundraising activities.
- Antony Bobath who is the head coach and main organiser for the Under 15 team at Leamington Rugby Union Football Club.
- Christopher Bolger has raised over £5,000 for Help for Heroes in honour of his late brother Stephen Bolger, killed in action in Afghanistan in 2009.
- Paul Williams
- Matthew Watkinson
- Charles Krivarnek
- Charles James
- Gail Bates is a local resident to Kenilworth and works as a Team Leader for Sainsbury’s.
- William Smith
- Stephen Sanday has been a Scout and Cub Leader for over 25 years and currently leads the 4th Kenilworth St Nicholas Church pack. He is also a charitable fundraiser.
- Kwame Kayi
- Jonathon Heald is a Primary School teacher and sports coach, who has supports providing sports to those children who don’t have the same opportunities as others.
Pictures from the day
More pictures on Flickr
You can upload your photos to our Flickr account. We will produce a lasting legacy of the Torch Relay through the eyes of the whole community. Please note your images may be used in future publicity.
Torchbearers image requests
For those torchbearers that participated in the district'ss Olympic Torch Relay, images are now available for purchase through the Press Association website.
The Olympic Torch Relay day and all the associated events, activities and entertainment have been organised with help and support from our partners, local businesses and sports organisations across the district. We are very grateful for their help, and they are all listed below.
Bob Swinburn Hog Roast & BBQ, British Red Cross, Brunswick HLC, Central Area School Sport Partnership, County Music Service, Coventry Brass Band, Coventry Triathletes, Eddies Ices, EKKO Equestrian UK, Elite Sports Development Company Ltd, EM&I Ltd, Kenilworth Churches, Rev. Andrew Attwood, Kenilworth Croquet Club, Kenilworth Runners, Kenilworth School, Kenilworth Tennis Club, Kenilworth Town Council, Kudos Caterers, Leamington Brakes FC, BID Leamington, Leamington C&AC, Leamington International Twinning Association, Leamington Rugby Club, Leamington Town Council, Lillington Ladies Badminton Club, M&D Amusements, Mid Warwickshire MIND, Mike Vaughan Bikes, Motionhouse, NHS Warwickshire, North Warwickshire Pony Club, Octavian Droobers Orienteering Club, Pittstop Baked Potatoes, Sketts Ltd, Splash Cafe, St Johns Ambulance, TANDY UK Ltd, Sabine Mueller - Zumba, Touch FM, Warwick Town Council, Warwickshire Police, Warwickshire County Council, Warwickshire RUFC, Warwick Sports Club, Warwick Tea Rooms, Warwick Boats, Greenspace Leisure Ltd, British Military Fitness, Kids Run Free, Playbox Theatre, Warwick Community Brass Band, Warwick Show Band, Sambassadors of Groove, Royal Leamington Sparklers, Warwick Hockey Club, Kenilworth RFC, Kenilworth Masters Swimming Club, Kenilworth Tae Kwon Do Club, Royal Leamington Spa Cycle Club (Bike Yard).