Riverside Walk is a pleasant, waymarked 3½ mile (5½ km) walk linking Leamington and Warwick. Along the way there are cafeteria facilities and toilets at Newbold Comyn Leisure Centre, Jephson Gardens, the Royal Pump Rooms, Victoria Park and St Nicholas Park.
12 Steps to an enjoyable walk
- Start at the left side of the entrance to Newbold Comyn Leisure Centre. Walk carefully down the slope or steps at the side of the swimming pool towards the River Leam and turn right along the back of the Leisure Centre
- Follow the pathway through the wood, taking the path nearest to the river on all occasions. If you miss the waymarkers, take the steps to the top of the bank.
- Follow the Main Walk through Jephson Gardens. If you wish to make a detour in the Gardens, return to the Main Walk. Leave the Gardens by the main gates on to the Parade.
- Turn right a short way up the Parade and cross by the pelican crossing into the Pump Room Gardens (look for the bandstand). Keep the Royal Pump Rooms on your left. Alternatively, take the path along the river frontage of the Pump Rooms, starting by the bridge. Continue beside the river and turn left on to the footbridge (York Bridge).
- Turn right after crossing the footbridge and follow York Walk (not York Road) beside the river. At Adelaide Bridge go through the underpass into Victoria Park. Continue past the bowling greens, pavilion and café, play area and car park, leaving Victoria Park under the railway viaduct at Prince's Drive.
- Cross the road with great care to Severn Trent's steel gates. Look for the gap between the two pairs of gates and take the path between the two steel fences, shortly reaching the river.
- Follow the fence beside the river (please take care), go through the kissing gate into the field, then follow the path up to the gate at the railway bridge. You're halfway there now!
- Keep the railway on your left and walk to the stile in the corner of the field. Climb the stile, continue beside the railway to the next stile. Cross on to the canal towpath and turn right
To leave the walk here or to make a detour, turn left along the canal, go under bridge No. 44 and take paths on the left to Myton Road.
- Continue along the towpath and pass under bridge No. 45 (there is no access to Jephson's Farm). Continue along the canal and cross the aqueduct over the River Avon. Look for the black and white sign which says 'Waterside Walk' and go down the steps with care. At the bottom of the steps bear right until you see the River Avon ahead of you.
To leave the walk here or to make a detour, turn left across the wooden footbridge and follow the river to Emscote Road and Protobello Bridge.
- To continue, bear right again under the aqueduct. Follow the river for some way, past the Tesco Superstore to the railway bridge (no access to Tesco or the railway). Go under the railway into the field. Continue by the river for some way, under the trees and past the houses to the footbridge (Charter Bridge) and the Sea Scout HQ.
- Cross the cycleway (please take care) into St. Nicholas Park, following the River Avon to the boat house and Castle Bridge. You have completed the downstream walk. Refreshments and toilets will be found beyond the play area, and there are vending machines in the Leisure Centre.
Alternatively, at Charter Bridge cross the river to see Kingfisher Pool, then continue along the river towards the Castle through Myton Fields, leaving by any gate onto Myton Road. At the end of Myton Road turn right on to Castle Bridge, cross the river and re-enter St. Nicholas Park by any access on your right.
- Make your way back to Leamington and Newbold Comyn!
Sorry, but section 1 - 2 and 6 - 10 of the Riverside Walk are not suitable for wheelchairs and push chairs.