CSW sport on behalf of NHS Warwickshire and the Warwickshire Exercise Referral Network is launching a new Referral scheme; it will involve Participating health care professionals referring patients to our three leisure facilities - Newbold Comyn, St. Nicholas Park Leisure Centre and Castle Farm Recreation Centre.
The aim is to improve the health and well being of residents in Warwickshire by promoting the benefits of an active healthier lifestyle and decreasing sedentary related illnesses.
Many health conditions can be improved or controlled by taking part in regular physical activity. These include:
- Respiratory conditions
- Mental health i.e.; mild to moderate depression including post natal
- Coronary Heart Disease prevention
- Diabetes Type 1 & 2
- Osteo/ Rheumatoid Arthritis
The referred patient will have a programme developed and tailored to their needs by one of our highly qualified G.P Referral gym staff, which will include a range of activities determined by their health condition and preferences. The fitness consultant will then support them through their twice weekly visits over the schemes 12 week period.
After completion of the referral scheme and with the support of the fitness consultant a future action plan would be developed for the patient to continue to be physically active.
An initial £10 registration fee is payable and will cover the cost of an initial, concluding and interim health assessment. Each session is £2.50 payable in advance by purchasing a card of 8 sessions.
Evidence shows that active people:
- Live longer
- Have less risk of developing coronary heart disease and type 2 diabetes
- Have more energy – to cope with their daily routine
- Better maintenance of a healthy weight
- Less stress and anxiety – physical activity helps relax people
- Increased social opportunities – meet people and make new friends
If you feel you could benefit from the Exercise referral scheme, in the first instance speak to your Health Provider to find out if they are registered on the scheme and they will complete all necessary paperwork for referral to the leisure facility of your choice.